Sunday, October 9, 2011

there's no crying in baseball!

Today was our ward's fast and testimony meeting. I love it because usually the people I'm with try and guess at what point the girls will cry in their testimony. Ok actually I love it because it really helps me feel like there are others going thru the same thing and I draw strength from others thoughts/feelings.

Recently I have noticed a surprising increase in the amount of guys crying while sharing. Today it happened twice. 2 weeks ago, one of my really good buddies fell victim to the crying. And he is a pretty stoic guy. It got me thinking...as most things do, why does it seem all of the sudden guys cry more during testimony meeting? Am I going to have to start guessing whether the guy up at the stand is a crier? Will guys surpass girls in this female-dominated activity (crying)?

Well as I pondered this the past week, I got to watch a lot of conference talks leading up to General Conference the past weekend. I started to notice that lots of "the brethren" were getting choked up during their talks. I guess they are trend setters. Who woulda thought a bunch of 70+ year old men would set the trend for a bunch of college age kids.

For me, I have a hard time crying. Yes I've cried before, but not much spurs the sensation of wanting to cry within me. But I have respect for these men that can do it. Much of the time I can see some personal deep meaning behind the emotion and it's great. A buddy of mine, that has recently come back to the church, bore his testimony on Priesthood today while teaching the Priesthood lesson, and he started to get choked up. It was a powerful way to convey a message.

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking right now...there's no way this is Steve. He doesn't write like this. Well, it's me. Now to get it back to the lighter side of things, read my next post, that's right, I'm double dipping tonight. And to those of you who have cried during your testimony (females excluded) I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment