Monday, January 2, 2012

new year, new tradition

Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone had a wild and crazy time, unless that isn't your style, then I hope you had a nice quiet time. (I really hope no single people fall in this category)

Over the break I was able to reflect on a lot of traditions that I'm accustomed to. The classic high five when you see your buddy. A hug for your mom. Turkey at thanksgiving. Kiss at Midnight for New Years. These are all things that I've grown accustomed to and don't hardly think about why we do them. There is however, a tradition, mostly among women, that I refuse to participate in. The pinky promise.

If you've ever tried to pinky promise me, I have refused. I think it's stupid. When did the word 'promise' become so diluted that you had to add something to it in order for your promise to mean something? And who decided that the pinky made your promise stronger? Rubbish.

I did a little digging and found out that the pinky was originally used in the Japanese Mafia signifying that if you broke the promise, the mafia would cut off your pinky. I read it. In a book. This just proves my point.

Here's my point:

The pinky is useless. It's the weakest and smallest of all the fingers; and nothing is made for JUST the pinky. If you lost your pinky, life would go on. You wouldn't even notice it was gone for the most part. So big deal if the mafia cut off your pinky.

So here's what I propose, we change it to a thumb promise. The thumb is awesome. It's what separates us from the animals. Here's some things that without the thumb, you wouldn't be able to, or would have a hard time doing:

Snapping
Hitchhiking
Turning a car key
Play video games
Hold a pen/pencil/utensil
Throw a ball/frisbee
Golf
Texting
I can't know for sure, but probably putting on makeup
Giving the thumbs up



Obviously the thumb is superior. Probably the coolest of all the fingers. So if were going to make a promise, we should be using the best/most important finger. It will mean more. I thumb promise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment